Furtho is set within 300 acres of stunning rural farmland on the Northants/Bucks border and allows clients to work in an idyllic, serene location without the hassles and distractions found being located in a town or city centre. However, we recognise that accessibility for visitors and clients alike is important and Furtho is well served via major transport links:
Over the past few years an increasing number of small businesses, put off by high town centre rents, long commuting times, limited parking and high charges and the desire to have a better, more work-friendly environment with other like-minded entrepreneurs, have located their businesses in rural business centres such as ours here at Furtho.
Furtho has become an established business centre destination for professional services companies including architects, structural engineers and training companies and is the idyllic location for any business looking for contemporary, highly functional office space providing all the services needed and ready to move into at short notice.
Furtho Manor is just off the A508 near the intersection with A5, with the A43/A45 and M1 junction 15 only a short distance away. The Business Centre is ideally located giving easy access to all parts of the country via the M40, M42, M6 and M25.
Central Milton Keynes station (National Rail/CMK) is a major hub for all journeys to and from London and the north and is only 15 minutes away. The smaller Wolverton station (National Rail/Wolverton) serves north Milton Keynes and is nearer still albeit offering fewer routes, principally Birmingham to London.
- Modern, purpose-built, secure, safe and comfortable high quality offices with existing B1 planning permission
- Onsite, friendly, professional and responsive landlords
- Full commercial and banking facilities in nearby Stony Stratford
- Full communications and ICT connectivity ready for immediate use
- Competitive, flexible length leases to suit your business needs
- Ample parking for staff and visitors
- Meeting room to hire for board, staff or customer meetings
- Accommodation and breakfast on site for staff and visitors (extra charges apply)
- Daily mobile lunch van
- Daily afternoon post collection
- Outside relaxation area and footpaths for getting away from your computer!
Furtho is one of the ‘lost villages’ of Northamptonshire. Only the church and a 15th century dovecote are left of a village that was registered as Forho (signifying a ford near a projecting piece of land) in the Domesday Book in 1086. It is thought that the village ‘died’ when the main Northampton road (now the A508) that used to run directly through it, was diverted when the parish was enclosed in about 1600.
In 1086, Furtho was made up of three smallholdings and a population of 15 people. Only in the early 1200s did the de Fortho family become lords of the manor and stayed until 1640, rebuilding much of the church in 1620. When enclosures diverted the London to Northampton road away from Furtho, it became a deserted village with only a farm, a mediaeval dovecot, a few lumps in the land and this delightful church remaining. The chancel is 14th century but the nave and squat tower were reconstructed early in the 17th century. The font and its cover date from this time. St Bartholomew’s escaped later restoration but ceased to be a parish church in 1920. The church fell into disrepair over the years and it was not until 1991-92 that the Churches Conservation Trust (www.visitchurches.org.uk) carried out an extensive restoration and repair programme. The church is now used for services several times a year and is always open.
The Furtho dovecote can still be seen in the grounds. It has had quite a few alterations over the years and there is evidence of blocked up doorways, partial rebuilding and the putting in of a new floor.
Later, the manor was purchased by Edmund Arnold, an eminent lawyer. He directed that after his and his wife’s death the income from the manor of Furtho should be given to ‘pious and charitable uses’ with particular focus to be given to poor children apprenticeships in ‘honest trades’! The Edmund Arnold charity still exists today.